Jan. 23, 2016 Tavares, FL
The Board of the North Lake County Hospital District met on Jan. 21, 2016 in Tavares, FL to hold a routine meeting. Several routine reports were presented but not discussed. I will attach or link them here when received. They also discussed the wording for the Nov. ballot measure to renew this tax.
This Board supervises the implementation of a 1 mill property tax collected of home and business owners in North Lake County, FL. It generates about $8-million in taxes split between two hospitals and several clinics to offset the cost of un-reimbursed indigent care (where the patients cannot pay for medical services.)
This post is under progress - bookmark it for later info when I upload or link to various reports presented at the meeting. We dont' expect the District's attorney to provide those until Jan. 26.
The legislation authorizing the NLCHD and 1 mill tax on North Lake County property owners will be up for renewal on the Nov., 2016 ballot. The attorney read the wording for the ballot and I will post it here when I receive it.
The Board is not planning any action to market the renewal of the tax, according to Board Chair Catherine Hanson. She said they do not believe they are allowed to act in support of the renewal. Thus, marketing efforts are expected by the two Hospitals (Leesburg and Waterman) and the clinics who receive funds. I will post news of those efforts as I obtain them. I expect a serious campaign to take place to renew the tax for another 10 years, which would generate perhaps $80+million in tax collections over 10 years that are split between the hospitals and clinics.
I have copied the Jan 21, 2016 agenda below.
The YouTube address for our video of the 14 minute meeting is https://youtu.be/SVQZklr5Fus. We missed the first five minutes, which are described on the agenda.
The official website for NLCHD is:
Agenda for the Jan. 21, 2016 meeting:
NORTH LAKE COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT
MEETING ON JANUARY 21, 2016
LAKE COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS ROOM
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Presentation and approval of minutes of the budget meeting held on September 24, 2015
- Financial report – audit presentation
- Presentation of the annual report of the Board of Trustees
- Transaction of any business that may properly be brought before the board
- Reaffirmation of Resolution 98-1
- Election of officers of the Board of Trustees
- Old Business
- New Business:
- Presentation of quarterly audit
- Scheduling of budget and special meetings
- Any other matter necessary to achieve the aforementioned goals.
- Note: The agenda did not contain an item for Public Input, so I recommended it.
- Note 2: The attorney read the recommended wording for the tax renewal ballot item which was not listed on this agenda.