Tavares, FL August 27, 2016
FiscalRangers.com Summary for Week Starting Monday, August 29, 2016
So many things are happening, so here is a summary for the week.
- Tuesday is Primary Voting day, so if you haven't voted, do so. HERE are our recommendations, which have changed some after first writing.
Tomorrow, Monday Morning, the School Board will meet at 9:30 am at the School District HQ. HERE is the agenda.
- The 19 member Search Committee met last week and discussed results of the online survey of criteria to be used for finding a new Superintendent. They also discussed feedback obtained (only a few people spoke) at three public hearings which you can see in these videos. The headhunter rep provided a list of 11 prioritized criteria which was discussed and modified by the Committee. That list will be presented to the School Board tomorrow. It will be used to create a publicity flyer to advertise to locate applicants. I will write more later this week after the elections.
- Third grade promotions were the subject of a recent court decision. Staff will discuss it.
- Tentative Florida legislative priorities, and those of the Florida School Board Association will be discussed. ALL candidates for School Board should know these.
- The Board will discuss the capital plan and the budget. Final decisions on the budget will be at two required hearings in Sept.
- School busing inside the two mile limit: The Board previously reinstated busing for students at Carver Middle School. Once hazardous conditions were solved, they kids would have to walk, but the staff didn't notify parents soon enough for planning. Thus the Board will be asked to continue busing through Dec. 15, then the bus service will be terminated.
If you have not voted yet, vote on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - Primary Elections Day
Did you see Lake County Commissioner Leslie Campione's Facebook video speaking about why fellow Commissioner Jimmy Conner practices cronyism and should not be re-elected. I agree with all of it, so watch it. Vote for Wendy Breeden to end Conner's pay to play cronyism. His constant talking about the sand mine is a diversion so you won't learn about Jimmy's taking funds from those who want up to 32,000 homes in South Lake County.
Aug. 28, 2016 - Orlando Sentinel - Drugs smuggled into Lake County Sheriff's Jail - The Orlando Sentinel will not let me post a comment on their webpage about this article, so read it and I will post my comments here: 1) It is strange that a jail run by the retiring Sheriff Gary Borders, and new Sheriff candidate Peyton Grinnell did not have enough security to prevent these smuggling methods. It took an investigation to find the methods. 2) It is strange that the daughter of another candidate, Andres Obregon, was one of those found to be involved in the smuggling. This sure gives some talking points to NPA Sheriff candidate Chuck Broadway for the general elections.
FL Senate Candidate Marlene O'Toole viciously attacked opponents with half truths in mailers. O'Toole clearly indicated a lack of ethics in her recent emails, making up nasty things to say about opponents David Gee and Dennis Baxley. FiscalRangers.com is on record supporting Gee, and he responded to her assertions he was a "Washington DC Insider". In truth, he was the chair of a transportation industry group due to his business being in that area. He actually worked to REDUCE government regulations, a good thing. O'Toole's distortions indicate a lack of character, and a reason to not vote for her. She also attacked Baxley - I assume she distorted his positions also, since O'Toole is known for avoiding any REAL reform of Common Core. Vote for David Gee as the outsider, grass roots person fighting to reduce government regulations. If you are mostly interested in faith based issues, Dennis Baxley, an eight year FL Rep. is favored by those folks.
Candidate Josh Blake is our endorsed candidate for Lake County Commissioner over incumbent, big spender Welton Cadwell. However, we gotta admit Josh works for Marlene O'Toole (see above) and his early mailers seemed all about national political issues (defending "human life", Second Amendment & keeping the Feds out of bathrooms...) and nothing under the jurisdiction of County Commissioners. His most recent mailers seem now to be talking about LOCAL issues handled by Commissioners, but we began to wonder. Was he just recycling old flyers from a prior Congressional candidate. Josh - we need new blood to replace big spender Cadwell, but you need to learn what the Commissioners do, not talk about national political objectives they do not address.
The five candidate Lake County COUNTY Court Judge race is still heated. However, some candidates continue to make it sound like the open Judge position covers critical big time criminal cases to match their criminal prosecution or defense expertise. The Judge position, however, is for "County Court" small claims cases with sentences under one year and damages under $15,000. It is known as the "People's Court" for that reason. Thus we need a Judge with PEOPLE experience and empathy to handle local small claims cases, not a killer prosecutor type. Again, we have a situation where candidates are distorting the duties of the position. That is why I continue to endorse Brian Welke who has worked in people oriented cases.
North Lake County Hospital District news: This special tax District collects about $9-million each year and is up for their first ever renewal vote on the Nov General Election Ballot. Look for more news later. However, there is a movement to get voters to DENY the renewal so watch for the hospitals to send you emotional, tug at the heart flyers and news. Keep in mind they are PRIVATE non-profit organizations who are required to absorb indigent care. Lake County is about the ONLY Florida County where such a tax district exists to pay for hospitals and clinics NOT owned by the government. Only about 10-15 Counties even have such a tax to subsidize local medical facilities, and all the rest of Florida counties do NOT subsidize medical facilities.
Leave a comment if you wish.